University System of New Hampshire
Financial and Administrative Procedures
HOW TO MAKE A PURCHASE
Issued By: Campus Purchasing Departments
The cardholder is the only person authorized to make purchases using the card. The cardholder retains ultimate responsibility for all purchases made against their card including an awareness of budget availability. Misuse may result in disciplinary action including, but not limited to, revocation of their card, fraudulent misuse may result in other disciplinary action up to termination of employment.
The limits for each purchasing card are set by the account manager and/or the business manager in conjunction with the individual card holder. The maximum dollar amount per single transaction is currently limited to $1,000, however, each card may be set at a limit up to and including this amount at the department's discretion.
All suppliers are required to electronically authorize purchases. If a card is denied at the point of sale, the card holder has been instructed to contact their account manager, who will notify the Campus Card Administrator. Some of the reasons for denial may be;
As the account manager, relay the following information to the Campus Card Administrator when attempting to resolve a denial issue:
- you may have exceeded your maximum number of daily or monthly transactions
- you may have exceeded your monthly dollar limit
- you may be purchasing from an unapproved standard industry code.
If a supplier is requesting your business address as verification of your account with the bank, the following addresses should be given to the supplier:
- the card number denied
- the cardholder's name
- the name and location of the merchant who denied the charge
- the date the denial occurred on
- what was the item being purchased
- the total dollar amount being purchased.
Prior to making your purchase;
|UNH, USNH, CLL
||University of New Hampshire
11 Brook Way
Durham, NH 03824-3509
||Keene State College
229 Main Street
Keene, NH 03431-1603
||Plymouth State College
17 High Street
Plymouth, NH 03264-1595
The following are various purchasing methods you may choose to use;
- Check the list of authorized purchases (Procedure 9-104, What Can I Use the Card for?) to make sure it is an allowable item.
- Determine if the goods can be purchased through a preferred or contracted supplier (See USNH Contracts Listing).
- Be certain that the total amount of the purchase (including all shipping, handling, postage, freight, and any applicable sales tax, etc.) will not exceed your cards applicable limits.
- Be certain that you have sufficient budget available for your purchase.
- Always be certain to let the supplier know you are making a purchase for your institution. This should make the supplier aware to give you the benefit of any applicable discounts.
Present your Purchasing Card for payment. The supplier will receive electronic authorization, resulting in acceptance or denial of the charge.
Make sure you obtain a receipt.
Please ensure that other people do not overhear this information as they could then charge items to your card.
- Complete the order form supplying all of the information requested.
- Retain the order form and fax confirmation (if available).
Regardless of the method you choose to use to actually make the purchase, the final step remains the same.
The official version of this information will only be maintained in an on-line web format.
- Submit all documentation to your account manager in a timely manner.
- Include any necessary notations for redistribution.
Any and all printed copies of this material are dated as of the print date. Please make certain
to review the material on-line prior to placing reliance on a dated printed version.